All Diploma students choose a total of 6 subjects with usually one subject taken from each of the six subject groups.
3 of those subjects are selected at Standard Level (S.L.) and the 3 other subjects are selected at Higher Level (H.L.).
Standard Level is equivalent to at least 150 teaching hours whereas Higher Level subjects are equivalent to at least 240 teaching hours.
The DP subjects below are classified based on their subject group.
Group 1: Studies in Language and Literature (first or native language)
- English A: Language and Literature (SL&HL)
- Chinese A: language and literature (SL&HL)
Group 2: Language Acquisition (second language learning)
- English B (SL&HL)
- Chinese B (SL&HL)
- French and Spanish ab initio (SL)
Group 3: Individuals and Societies
- Psychology (SL&HL)
- Business management (SL&HL)
- Information Technology in a Global Society ITGS (SL&HL)
Group 4: Sciences
- Physics (SL&HL)
- Computer science (SL&HL)
- Sports science (SL&HL)
- Design Technology
Group 5: Mathematics
- Maths Application and Interpretation (SL&HL)
- Maths Analyses and Approaches (SL&HL)
Group 6: Arts
- Visual Arts (SL&HL)
- Music (SL&HL)